[Public-List] Manifold petcock Atomic 4

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun May 20 06:37:38 PDT 2012

Ron

Sounds like you are on track.  The area where this drain is located is the
low point on the manifold and collects almost all the sediment from the
cooling water and engine crud.  Also it is the hottest part of the manifold.
Every time you shut the engine down stuff settles there and solidifies.  For
our fresh water friends this applies to you as well- just not so bad.  If
the manifold were off the engine I would pickle it with Muriatic Acid, but
with the age of the engines I do not recommend pulling the manifold unless
absolutely necessary, the cast iron has gotten soft and you might have
problems retorquing the studs.   Poke out all you can with out damaging
anything, then use a NPT tap to clean the threads as best you can with
minimal force.  Put in a new petcock or plug and use JB Weld where you would
normally use Teflon tape.

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when
the baby gets hold of a hammer."
Will Rogers