[Public-List] Rudder post stuffing box

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue May 22 17:40:26 PDT 2012

Bernard,

On 5/22/12 4:33 PM, The Rochets wrote:
> I haven't repacked my rudder stuffing box yet, but feel that I should be doing so.
>
> Any suggestions about the best packing material?

Same as for the shaft stuffing box. See
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion/StuffingBox/

> Also, I have wheel steering and the steering mechanism attachment on
> the rudder post is right on top of the stuffing box, which makes it
> quite awkward to access. Does anybody with wheel steering have any
> advice about the best way to deal with this?

I don't know how wheel steering affects it, but
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/AccessToStuffingBox/ gives an
idea for access from the port locker.

> Can repacking the rudder stuffing box be done while the boat is in
> the water?

No problem, there. The rudder stuffing box is generally just above the
water line.

> As you can tell, I am a bit insecure about this and any advice will
> be greatly appreciated.

It's really pretty easy.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org