[Public-List] Standing rigging tension figures

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Thu May 24 04:35:45 PDT 2012

Hi Glenn -

You can't stretch the rig, but I suppose it is possible to damage the chain
plate attachments or compress the structure supporting the mast step.

I went for somewhat higher tensions to minimize forestay sag when beating.

Had our first race last night, ended up middle of the fleet which I suppose
is better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish.  Start was good, but in
the heavy-ish air all the weaknesses of the A30 compared to other yachts in
our mixed fleet were exposed.   Lack of pointing ability and tenderness
caused us to lose places we gained back off the wind.

Finished with a very stylish loose spinnaker flagging from the masthead just
as we crossed the finish line - had to wait for yachts around us to sail
away before heading downwind so that it would come down in the lee of the
main so we could grab it.   Naturally this ignited much high and low wit at
the clubhouse after....

Onwards.

Gord #426 Surprise