[Public-List] Spreader Base

Bob Norway examiner at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 19 16:03:27 PST 2012

I own an Alberg 30 #488. I have discovered that two rivets on the starboard
spreader mounting plate have broken and the upper two appear to be pulling
out (there is about a 1/8th inch between the plate and the mast block).

I have two questions: 1. Can I replace the rivets with thru bolts, or
should I re-rivet? 2. Is there a compression tube already in the mast at the
spreaders? I am hoping that I will be able to either thru bolt or re rivet
without taking the mast down as to do that I would have to take her to a
yard and money is tight, whereas I figure I can climb the mast and drill out
the old/bad rivets one at a time and thru-bolt or re-rivet them while at my
slip. Any thoughts/help cheerfully welcomed!

Cheers,
Bongo Bob Norway

_________________

S/V Beowulf #488