[Public-List] Chain Plates

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Nov 10 09:25:08 PST 2012

Clayton,

On 11/10/12 8:27 AM, Clayton Zimmerman wrote:

> Work on Tanager #349 is progressing really well. Hoping to gain some
> knowledge on chainplates. I've seen a few Tritons with chainplates
> moved to the hull but not any Albergs. Has anyone done this? Why or
> why not? My new chain plates are a fair bit larger and in order to
> fit, I'd have to lengthen the knees and widen the deck cutout. Not
> difficult, but if moving to the hull is stronger, why not? The plan
> is to go offshore cruising for an extended period.

I suspect that moving the chainplates to the hull would reduce the
ability to go upwind.

What's the purpose of increasing the size of the chainplates? I've never
heard of them failing. Most failures seem to be pulling the chainplates
through the deck, either due to bolt failure (the original bolts are
undersized) or due to failure of the knee (mostly due to rot from
leaking chainplates).

Lengthening the knees is a good idea in any event, and several boats
have done so to increase the connection to the hull. I think it's even
more important to fill any gap between the knees and the hull. I've
noticed considerable variation from boat to boat, and I think that
allows leverage to pull at the bottom end of the knee.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org