[Public-List] Spreader Base

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 20 04:24:06 PST 2012

Bob

The same thing happened to me many years ago. I replaced all of the rivets
with thru bolts and have not had a problem since. There is not a compression
tube inside the mast but the mast is very thick just tighten the bolts using
aircraft style SS nuts and you'll be fine. Trim any excess so it won't catch
lines.

I would be careful doing this job while the mast is up. If one of the
spreader bases give way and the lower shrouds become disconnected, the mast
will fall over. It happened this year to one of our members (who will remain
anonymous) here on the Chesapeake.