[Public-List] Circumnavigations

chris123 chris.herrnberger at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 00:09:29 PDT 2012

I'm new here so only offering some tech insights. This list is not on
a true list server...its a yahoo group that offers an email service.
The main drawback is that their search function sucks, and secondly
there is often a lot of thread drift. List servers, have their data
backed up and fully indexed by various services prior to google and
now if this group where open it too could be searched by google but
thats not the case as yahoo does not like that. When I worked in IT I
subscribed to approx 200 lists to stay on top of the stuff I was
working on, mostly linux stuff and kept a personal indexed backup on
my workstation that was run automatically. It was and remains really
easy to find stuff, as long as its not on a yahoo group server that is
closed from external search engines. That is the real issue IMHO.
Forums are fine but it takes far longer to find stuff on a forum then
it does on a well run listserv. Heck I still remember billboards and
modems..:)

Best of luck regardless of what you decide.

/ch

/ch