[Public-List] Circumnavigations

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 05:40:11 PDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Michael Grosh <dickdurk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't fully understand how a forum would be different than the
> interaction shown on the A30 list when someone has a problem.
> MichaelGrosh

In my opinion, the differences are subtle but important. I look at
email lists as a long running (rambling) conversation. Since email
lists are "push" technology when I email the group I know that
everyone will likely get my message. I've befitted from this in the
past when I've asked a question, and received many great responses
back within minutes! Also, since we all are tied to our email, we all
end up staying on top of what's going on, whether we participate or
not.  So, for longtime owners who are familiar with the others, and
the topics at hand the list is indeed convenient and efficient.

Forums on the other hand, are more "pull"..a user must visit the forum
to pull the content, which is a downside. I post a question, and hope
someone sees it.  While not as immediate, I find this not to be a
problem on most of the forums I visit since users tend to visit the
forum as much as checking email. Where forums shine, is the natural
organization of topics and threaded conversations.  For a new Alberg
owner, the robust search tools threaded conversations organized by
topic are a real plus.  Before I stumbled across my A30 I was looking
at Cape Dory, and after sitting down and literally reading through all
the Cape Dory association forums I knew tons about the boat. You can
read the conversations as if in real time. It was a real advantage
when boat shopping and making decisions.  I did the same with the
Alberg lists, and it is much more difficult to digest. You can't just
scan by topic, you need to search by topic. What if there's an
important topic you don't know of. Also, forums include all sorts of
added learning tools. For example, someone visiting the Cape Dory
forum might come across a post that is obviously from someone very
knowledgeable, ..you can then look at that user and see his profile
and easily see other posts he's written.    There are some fantastic
phone apps that really make forum use easy on a phone, easy as
checking email.

Images.  Forums have a slight advantage in that you can display an
image inline.  With the email list, we can only add links to images
hosted elsewhere. Note that you end up using a third party image host
for both.  The more robust forum applications I've set up recently no
longer allow the uploading of binary attachments.

I should also say that most of the successful forums I visit are