[Public-List] Teak inlays?

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Wed Sep 5 22:48:29 PDT 2012

Hi,

My boat has a main hatch cover and cockpit locker lids
that have teak plywood inlays. This is a newer, liner boat.
All three inlays have sanded one too many times. and now
are showing the second ply, which has voids. The epoxy
and glass solution discussed recently might work for the
locker lids, but won't look great for the hatch cover.
The plywood is starting to delaminate. Also, I see
various screw holes with teak plugs on top of them,
some of which have popped out.

In short, I'd like to replace these inlays.

Has anybody replaced these inlays? How much work was it?
How thick are the inlays? 1/4" or more?
Are the screws necessary, or can one use just epoxy
or 3M5200/Sikaflex?

Stephen
#495 Quasar

Stephen Gwyn                       | Tel: 1-250-363-3136
Canadian Astronomical Data Centre  | Fax: 1-250-363-0045
Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics | Cell: 1-250-885-6969
5071 West Saanich Road             | E-mail: Stephen.Gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Victoria, BC, V9E 2E7, Canada      | http://astrowww.phys.uvic.ca/~gwyn/