[Public-List] Babying our boats

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:01:42 PDT 2012

I just came back from spending a few days on my boat and pushed
Seagrass pretty hard yesterday.   Wind was consistently in the mid
20's with gusts over 30.  We started the day sailing down a river with
current opposing the wind generated waves and it made for some nasty
chop.  The boat handled itself well though. We had a double reefed
main, with a standard working jib and were able to make progress
beating into the wind, even against a couple of knots current.  It was
a heck of a sail. Rails awash, water running into the cockpit..we were
soaked.

It did occur to me, that might I give this poor old girl a break?
She's from 1965 and pushing 50! I figured that the hull is strong, all
my bulkheads are solid, chain-plates and bolts replaced.  Standing
rigging good. Cast aluminum mast-head..unknown. Mast beam is original,
but holding on..

Anyone else think twice when the wind picks up?

Jeff Fongemie
#116 Seagrass

http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie