[Public-List] sliding hatch cover

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Thu Sep 6 15:52:14 PDT 2012

Jeff, Iam building one now for Dolce.  basically I formed the sides and cambered the top with 3/8" structural form core, now covering it with Fiberglass mat and roving.  I put in a couple of 3/4" reinforcing ribs underside of the top for extra strength, although, probably they won't be needed when all the FG work is done.

also decided to screw or bolt the hatch covering in place for easy removal latter.  so attached 2" flat balsa sheeting around sides and front of the turtle which hopefully will mate up with the curve of the deck, and which get covered in FG mat/roving also (top and underside).  this forms a lip to attach the whole assembly to the deck, around the hatch.

After the glass work is done, I'll sand it down smooth and paint to match the deck, maybe put nonskid on the top.

Glenn
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad