[Public-List] Teak inlays?

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 06:26:24 PDT 2012

Stephen,

I have done this job several times over the past 35 years on several boats.
Here are my attempts and success/failures.

First attempt...
Remove, with a router, 1/4" of the teak plywood and replace with 3/8" solid
teak strips using epoxy. This leaves the wood 1/8" proud for long term
refinishing.
This worked well for the main hatch and the lazarette, but water got under
the seats after about 10 years and teak strips started become loose and the
plywood beneath started to rot due to the trapped water. I think this is
because we walk on the seats and the flexing from the weight caused the
seams to open especially around the perimeter of the wood.
Life: about 10 years on the seats, still perfect on the main and lazarette
hatch...must keep it sealed with your preference of finish.

Second try...
Remove the teak strips and the wet plywood completely.
Fiberglass in 1/2" Coosa board in place of the plywood. Advantage: lighter
seat hatches and strength for walking on.
Cover the Coosa board with imitation teak/holly rubber stuff.
Good non skid, low maintenance, strong, looks good initially but turned ugly
in about a year. Shrinkage of the rubber inlay allowed water to get under
the rubber and it started to lift after about 5 years.
Life: about 5 years

Third try...
Remove rubber crap and glass over the seats to be flush. Use System 3 "Quick
fair" to make it entirely smooth.
Paint hatches and create non-skid with Kiwi Grip.
Advantages: maintenance free, looks great, good non-skid grip
Cons: you no longer have the classic wood inlay appearance. But the not too
bothersome since the main and lazarette and coaming still maintain the boat
look.

Best solution for wood inlays...
Remove all the plywood, and replace with 5/4 x 2" wide teak strips, milled
to leave the wood 1/4" proud.
For the main hatch, you need to bevel the edges of the strips (1 degree
bevel on each board) to make the curve work.
Overlap the boards on all perimeters of the fiberglass to create a
water-tight seal. (Tricky cuts)
Epoxy all pieces in place. Build a jig before starting this to to allow the
teak to be clamped in place. Make the joints tight and epoxy all joints.
Advantages: Beautiful and very strong, long term repair.
Cons: heavy, must keep finished, expensive to build and time consuming to
construct.

Whatever solution you choose...
Be careful removing the old plywood so as not to damage the fiberglass
around the edges of the hatch
The edges are beveled
the depth is 3/4" once the plywood is removed

Good luck...I have lots of pictures of this process.

Conclusion...I am very happy with my fiberglassed seat locker hatches. I
like the non-skid properties of kiwi-grip, the low maintenance, easy to keep
clean and will live with the non-classic look.

Mike Lehman