[Public-List] Bizzare electrical problem

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 03:44:04 PDT 2013

Lightning?

~~~_/)_/)~~ Mike Lehman ~~_/)~~~

-----Original Message-----
From: Glennb
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 8:51 PM
To: Alberg 30 Public List -- open to all
Subject: [Public-List] Bizzare electrical problem

Hello all,

Well today as I was prepping the boat for spring I happened to reach deep
into the aft storage space aft end of the cabin,over the ice box, and
noticed my aux VHF antenna cable was extremely hot, bubbling the plastic
core in one one spot.  This occurred where five small coils of excess cable
were tied off with a plastic electrical tie.  The run of cable from the five
coils up to the vhf was hot as well, as was the back end of the radio where
the ant cable plugs into the unit.  The cable connects to a new last year
shakesphere emergency/backup antenna clamped to the aft taff rail.  The
cable runs aft through the storage space, through the stbd locker thence
into the lazarette where it connects up through the deck into the antenna.
The cable  is not connected to anything else on board- and is not shorting
to any other hot electrical wire.  There are a half dozen positive leads
running forward, that cross the cable near where the five coils were hot,
but they are two strand ar
e coated marine wire and were undamaged, not energized, and cold to the
touch.

The radio was turned off.  The circuit beakers were turned off. Nothing
onboard was energized except the bilge pump circuit, and the engine starting
circuit.  I had just changed the engine oil and ran the motor for about 30
seconds to oil the engine and check oil level, prior to finding the heated
cable.

After discovering the heated cabling, I shut everything off and
systematically turned on the engine, circuit breakers  and radio, but was
not able to duplicate the condition.

What in the world could cause a near fire temp in a VHF antenna cable under
these conditions??? !!!

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Glenn
Dolce 318