[Public-List] Velcro Recap 4/7/13

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 7 08:34:12 PDT 2013

Now that we are back in the US, reprovisioned and rested we will be heading back home.  It has been a good trip and we plan on doing it again.  Entry back was easy and straight forward,because of the large number of boats that go back and forth to the Bahamas US Customs has expedited processing.

During our stay we "home based" at the Abaco Beach Resort Boat Harbour (http://www.abacobeachresort.com/marina/rates.html) and are members of the Royal Marsh Harbour Yacht Club (http://www.rmhyc.com/content.aspx?page_id=0&club_id=481507).  The membership gave us slip rates that are too good to pass up and Marsh Harbour has the best assortment of shopping in the Abacos.  The RMHYC is also a very social organization with all sorts of day activities, daily Happy Hour as well as being a bunch of nice folks.  When we had to move to a repair yard to have our cutless bearing replaced we were towed by a members Boston Whaler with two dinghys along as tug boats.

During our stay we visited Elbow Cay, Hopetown, Great Guana Cay, Little Harbor, Green Turtle Cay, Allen-Pensacolla Cay and Great Sale Cay.  We also rented a cay and explored Great Abaco Cay.

The trip back started eventfully with a tight weather window for the crossing.  Our last day in the Abacos was spenty anchored off Great Sale, then we moved out near the edge of the Bank for the night.  The forecast called for 5-10 knot wind and two foot waves.  We spent the night with 10 knot winds but 3-4 foot waves and for the crossing itself 15+ SE winds and 4-6 foot waves.  It was a sloppy crossing but from talking to others that crossed the day before and after we had it relatively good.  If we had missed the window we would hav had a week delay in crossing and from what I'm seeing on the weather forecasts for up north it might have been worth the wait.

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.

George C. Marshall