[Public-List] Rudder fell off!

Kristian Larson k.larsonbc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 12:14:29 PDT 2013

Well the subject is pretty self-explanatory so I might as well give you all
the story before I ask for advice.
While sailing close hauled with a single reefed main and smallish genny in
20kts of wind, we were having a great sail. That didn't last long. With a
abrupt snap, the rudder-rudder shaft connection broke free. The tiller
flopped uselessly while my girlfriend, my buddy who has never sailed before
but is a natural and myself rushed to strike the sails. I fired up the
outboard ( I did the atom voyages outboard well conversion) and we motored
5 miles back to the dock in squamish. After some inspection, it appears the
rudder is gone! There's a 2" stub of the rudder shaft protruding from the
hull. That's all I know for now as Mara, my beloved Alberg 30 #127 is still
in the water while I go back to work for a few weeks on Vancouver island.
Rudders for Alberg 30's must be scarce I figure. It looks like learning how
to make a rudder is in my future.  If anyone out there can give me any
guidance on how to build a rugged fail proof rudder or knows of originals
 kicking around, it would be much appreciated. My goal is to take Mara off
shore one day and would like to make her rudder better than new. Any input
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristian
Mara, Alberg 30 #127