[Public-List] Cabin Windows

Glennb brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Sun Aug 4 23:50:50 PDT 2013

Randy,

Not sure what you are describing. Sounds like the interior rounded edge of the focsle cabin top where it joins with the underside of the deck?  If so, it likely is grey  putty, same as Whitby used around the stuffing log.

I stripped  the interior paint out of  Dolce a few years ago and found this same putty in this location all around the interior radius around the inside of the the Focsle.  There was no continuous FG bounding the  radius of the inside deck mold to the inside cabin top.  However, The exterior deck and cabin  top are laid as one piece, but apparentlyWhitby did not bound the interior radius with FG - just puttied it up and painted over it.  Pretty cheese work, but it seems to hold up ok all these years.

In my case I actually decided to clean all the putty out and glass the radius with 5 layers of mat and roving, as the radius was starting to crack and had mold growing in it around the extent of the focscle cabin.  Actually did this through out the main cabin and all bulkhead tabbing as well. My boat needed a through interior repaint anyway, hence I had it stripped down to gell coat anyway and the extra reinforcement wasnt that big a deal.

Dont know that you need to remove the putty, i havnt heard anyone mention that this is a structural weakness, although i am happy I did fill and layup additional FG through this radius area.

Best regards
glenn B.
dolce 318

Sent from my iPad