[Public-List] Getting mast wires into the boat?

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 11:18:23 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what everyone else has set up to get the wires from the mast
into the boat?

I have a setup on #116 where someone has drilled a hole through the mast
step plate, through the mast beam and it comes out just inside in the
v-berth just forward of the beam. A stainless tube was inserted and the
wires from the mast are run through this tube, into the boat cabin to a
connections box. It's a clean setup from the outside, however we've
discovered that unless you get a good drip loop in the wires at the mast
base water can flow down into cabin and drip on the floor. And, the sll the
wires into the tube is a tight fit.

I'm about to remove my mast beam completely, and laminate a new one out of
sapele (or perhaps white oak). I think I'd like find a different solution
for the wires to exit the mast through a hole, then into the cabin top via
some fitting of some sort.

I've used the Cable Clam type fittings with success for single round
cables:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=661&familyName=Perko+Watertight+Cable+Outlets

I wonder how those would work for multiple wires and duplex covered wires?

What do you all do??

I hope everyone is having a great season.  We decided to skip putting our
boat in the water to get some house and boat projects done, can't wait
until next season already.

-jeff

Seagrass #116
Boothbay Harbor Maine