[Public-List] Getting mast wires into the boat?

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 29 11:45:42 PDT 2013

I use the slightly larger than single wire sized cable clam to get 4 wires - a triplex, two duplex and a round vhf wire so that I can disconnect everything in the winter when the mast gets removed.  It seems pretty dry.  I'd probably freeze it though for the initial drilling - and it is really painful getting the wires through initially, as at least for me it was a fairly small hole I used.  You could probably wrap the wire with butyl tape to ensure a totally watertight pass through the rubber stopper.  I'm planning on redoing it this winter as the VHF cable is spliced twice and I'd like a better set of disconnects inside the boat and at the top of the mast to allow me to remove the wind instruments cleanly every winter.  The wires also bang inside the mast so I plan on wrapping several sets of 3 cable ties to keep the wires centered and prevent banging (every 3' roughly you wrap 3 cable ties with the ends at 120 degrees to each other and preventing
 the cable from slamming against the wall of the mast.)

Bill.