[Public-List] Jib tack shackle

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Tue Aug 6 21:54:34 PDT 2013

Hi,

On very close inspection, it looks like it was cracked
for some time before breaking. I looked closely at the
broken surfaces. The outer parts were discoloured and
covered with fine salt crystals, presumably from spray.
The inner part was shiny, fresh bronze.

The company that made this part is Brookes and Adams.
The markings indicate SWL 10 CWT, which I interpret
as Safe Working load, 10 hundredweight, indicating
a strength of 1120 lbs and also a British pre-metric,
manufacture.

I've put more pictures than anybody could find even
reasonably interesting on the web:
http://www.astro.uvic.ca/~gwyn/pers/shackle/index1.html

So Gord, how would I order from your company? Website?

SG