[Public-List] Deck Painting

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 23 05:01:12 PDT 2013

Jim

Here's what we did on #655..

First the was significant delamination on the after deck and cockpit sole and a few small areas on other places which had to be re-cored and re- glassed.

There were just a few spider cracks elsewhere and they were minor. We used System 3 Quick Fair as a fairing compound when needed. I highly recommend this product...it is simply the best.

We removed all of the deck hardware. We thoroughly cleaned the decks with a combination of products ranging from soap and water to lacquer thinner. The we applied 2 coats of System 3 yacht primer. Also highly recommended product. Sanding between coats.

After all of the prep was complete we hired a pro team that to spray Awlgrip. Because the prep was done and the boat was completely masked, it was easy for them to shoot the deck. We had scaffolding all around the boat. 2-3 coats of Awlgrip shot by pros over multiple days only cost $1500 plus materials. They concentrated on the smooth areas with a light coat on the non skid areas.

After the Awlgrip cured we started masking off the non skid areas for the kiwi grip. I should mention that this particular boat did not have a diamond pattern, instead it was textured gel coat. We started the kiwi grip on the after deck one section at a time. Kiwi grip takes a little practice, but is easy to apply. Once a section was complete, we immediately pulled the tape before the paint dried...important.

After about a week we started reinstalling the hardware.

I tried kiwi grip on my own Alberg #505 which has the diamond pattern. I tested painting over the diamond patter on the compass cover. Its horrible. You will need to "knock down' the diamond pattern. Not all the way smooth, but enough so the kiwi grip can hide the pattern. Test a small piece like the compass cover to see how much sanding is needed. After my test, I kiwi gripped my sea hood and it can out great. I plan to do my entire boat.
We used awlgrip white and cream colored kiwi grip. It is beautiful. I will send George so pics for the website.

It took months from start to finish including the deck repairs. As a gauge...we used 13 rolls of tape. One gallon of kiwi will do the whole boat.