[Public-List] gudgeons & pintles

GLENN P brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Dec 17 20:05:33 PST 2013

Gordon,

The man reason Iam looking for a replacement is my grudegeon is it is worn pretty badly where it contacts the rudder shaft (pintel) section in the rudder. also ive drilled the arms a couple of times, so replacing because of wear and tear. Also to have a new solid attachment for a hoped for ocean crossing. My limited experience with bronze shafts is that bronze lasts for ever so doesnt suffer from work hardening or stress, or corrosion like stainless steel. so an ideal material that lasts a loong time. Unless yours is wobbled out through age i wouldnt think it necessary to have a spare laying around. if you ever need one, these are readily made at a foundry, although it takes some months to do because of backlog sometimes.

cheers,
Glenn