[Public-List] Re-Sealing the Deck to Hull Joint

Michael Grosh dickdurk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 15:02:46 PST 2013

I replaced my rails on #220 (1967) a few years ago. The rail looks like
teak, but is not. The outside of the wood was decent ( probably from being
oiled/varnished over the years) the interior was basically powder - which
explained the leaking joint, in my case.
I removed and prepped, filling in the original bolt holes ( I couldn't
figure out how to get holes in the New teak to line up with the old holes).
Fabricating and installing new teak was beyond my capabilities, so it was a
boatyard install. $8500.00. At least there is a target you can aim for.
I think it was boat caulk used for sealant, which I provided.  5200 has a
very limited number of uses on a boat, in my opinion.
Michael Grosh
220