[Public-List] Stern squat.

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 04:12:31 PST 2013

On the Alberg 30 the mast should be as far forward as possible. I have even trimmed the washers on the bolts to get the mast a bit more forward. It helps with trim and also helps sailing performance by reducing weather helm. The mast should be straight with no rake. Once the mast is "in column" and the shrouds are properly tensioned, tighten the forward lowers to put a slight amount of pre-bend in the mast. The forward lowers should have the most tension of all the shrouds.

The lazarett should be empty or only used for light weight items. It is unsupported weight since it is in the overhang. Keep weight to the center of the boat and avoid weight in the ends. This reduces hobby horsing.

The Alberg always sits a bit lower in the stern but there are things you can do to reduce that.

Also...what is your hull number? The very early boats we 460 pounds under balasted and additional ballast was needed to make them conform to class rules.

Hope this helps.