[Public-List] Stern squat.

David Tessier dfjtessier at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 15 07:21:33 PST 2013

I looked at a certain pre-liner one-owner (if you count father, then son as one owner) A30 with turquoise topsides and a short-footed mainsail that lived up near Gord Laco on The Georgian Bay, as it is called on the old charts.  She had had a long  and perhaps distinguished racing career in the Toronto area.  During the several hours I enjoyed crawling all over her under her winter cover, I found a tidy little pile of lead (Pb) ingots up under the Vee berth, which I was told helped her racing trim whilst, I assumed, meeting the applicable one design rules.
I thought that I read somewhere that the squat stern trim of the A30 resulted from a misunderstanding (!) between the designer and the builder, along the lines of the rig (not fractional), size of mainsail (over large) and the use of iron (not lead) ballast.  Who knows!  I love our mystery lady all the same.
I suppose that my 90' of anchor chain in the bow is helping our fore/aft trim, perhaps partly compensating for my 205 lb weight in the cockpit.  And I have photographic evidence from MariAnne cove anchorage that shifting myself from cockpit to bow makes a discernable difference in trim, judging from the boot stripe.
Cheers,David TROIS BOULEAUX #319.
P.S.: Anyone chartered a sailboat in the Whitsundays?  We have lined one up for a week in March and would welcome any advice.