[Public-List] Stern squat.

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Fri Feb 15 08:45:41 PST 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 08:29:52AM -0500, Gordon Laco wrote:
> Taken together, these two things have pushed her head down a few degrees,
> and moving the waterline boot stripe aft up have hidden a few degrees of
> squat - the overall effect is better trim.  I periodically do a fairly
> ruthless purge of gear which always seems to accumulate in the cockpit and
> stern lockers.  We try to keep them as empty of heavy gear as possible.

This hasn't solved the problem for the cockpit lockers, but I've found
that the stern locker has just enough room to hold (almost) all the PFDs
and the heaving line. That way, whenever I'm tempted to toss anything
back there, I can add "but it'll make important safety equipment less
accessible" to my "but it'll worsen the squat" argument against giving
in to that temptation, and I pile the crap into the port cockpit locker
instead (the arrangement of my personal belongings below decks produces
a slight list to starboard). Then I only have to ruthlessly purge one
locker (maybe 2) on a regular basis ;)

Cheers,
Kris

--