[Public-List] stern squat

David Terrell dterrell1 at charter.net
Mon Feb 18 06:05:23 PST 2013

Jason and Glenn

my goal was to get the surface of the tank as clean as possible. I did
not sand it the way one would if one was prepping the hull for a paint
job. I put on two coats of epoxy - purchased at west marine. It was a
long time ago and the discussion I had on the site did not raise large
red flags about safety. I had not planned to use the water for drinking
- just washing. I did put an inspection port in the cover so I could
check for grunge and remove it if necessary. Now I treat the water on an
annual basis. There is an in line charcoal filter before the faucet in
the galley. It is also easier to fill the tank from the inside than it
is from the outside. It is easy to see when the tank is getting full.
This was not part of my initial plan but it works anyway.

It is necessary to take the v-berth apart to do this job. Once the basic
structure is pushed into the anchor locker, there is lots of room to
work on the project.

I hope this is helpful.

David, 432