[Public-List] Anchor windlass question

John Boor mahseer at kos.net
Fri Feb 22 04:58:42 PST 2013

Glenn.

A windlass should be rated for it's capacity to lift the correct size
anchor and chain for the boat, no windlass should be used to pull a boat.
I installed an electric 1000watt windlass on my 30 and using a Bruce style
anchor and 3/16in BBB chain and remote operation.  My windlass was a
horizontal with chain/rope gypsy but found that with only a 90deg contact
of the chain to gypsy the chain would jump out of the gypsy. My new one
has a vertical capstan/gypsy with a 180deg capture of the chain so should
solve the jumping problem.  I considered buying a manual one but since I
do a lot of solo sailing and discarded the idea when I remembered hauling
up the anchor alone and having the boat drift while I stored the rode and
anchor before returning to the cockpit.  I would suggest an electric
vertical capstan/chain windlass of the right capacity, BTW don't forget
you will need a pressure wash down system and large capacity cables.

John Boor
past MAHSEER #380 owner