[Public-List] V berth water tank

Bill Newman newman423 at rogers.com
Fri Jul 19 07:07:48 PDT 2013

My No. 233 is a non liner boat that I have owned for about 12 years.  The water tank is fibreglass and is I believe, tabbed to the hull.  Originally it had no inspection port so later I made one and found a very moldy plastic bladder inside the tank.  I removed this and thoroughly cleaned the interior of the fibreglass tank and used this for a few years until it began to leak.  I then cut a larger opening into the top and installled a bladder which does not conform well the the shape of the tank.  If it is completely filled it bulges out the opening and leaks some water no matter how well the fittings are tightened.  The result is that I cannot carry a lot of water with this arrangement.  I do not use the tank for drinking or cooking just for washing myself and the dishes.  I am thinking of temporalily removing some of the furniture from the v berth, then making a cardboard mock-up of a tank that fits the space and taking this to a tank maker to have it fabricated.  I am thinking of having this made of aluminum because there are several companies who will do this and a mold is not required.  I expect my experience is not unique.  My question is. has anyone had any experience  replacing the water tank under the v berth and if so any advice or information about how to proceed and the results will be much appreciated.

Bill Newman
Marion Rose III, #233