[Public-List] Lightning Ground

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Fri Jul 26 08:50:59 PDT 2013

Hello Bill -

Grounding to the keel is impossible with the Alberg 30.... Our ballast keels
are encapsulated within the fibreglass lay up of the hull.  There's no keel
bolts, no iron to be in contact with the water.

You've got to arrange something specifically if you want to be grounded.

I'm not an expert on lightning protection, but I've read everything I can
find on the subject.  What is troubling is this: one can find supporting
information for nearly any theory one chooses to believe.

I've come to the 'opinion' that if one is grounded, one is more likely to be
struck, but if you're struck, it may not be so bad.    If one is not
grounded, one is less likely to be struck, but if you're struck, it may be
worse.

I'm looking forward to comments!

Gord Laco
 #426 Surprise