[Public-List] Cockpit Coamings

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Jun 22 06:40:03 PDT 2013

On Jun 22, 2013, at 7:14, "Bob Crinion" <bob at crinion.ca> wrote:

> I removed the Cockpit Coamings to paint the deck.
>
> The teak had "some black stuff" applied at the factory on the back of
> the teak which I removed.
>
> The teak was  totally stripped and System 3 epoxy sealer applied (soaks
> in like lacquer thinner) with several coats of Cetol applied afterwards.
>

> What suggestions should I use to "rebed" the team coamings back in place
> in the cockpit?

I used neoprene industrial gasket material. I think it was 1/16 inch, but it's been a lot of years. I found a source in the yellow pages. I was hoping to get off cut scrap really cheap, but they didn't have any on hand that was long enough.

Instead, I got strips cut 3 or 4 inches wide, and adhesive on one side. I put this along the top edge of the fiberglass. After bolting the coamings back in place, I put a caulk bead on the outside.

That was 15 or 20 years ago. (Thanks to Bud Dolber, Beowulf, for the idea.)

George