[Public-List] Insulating the icebox - NASA's Areogel

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Mar 12 23:00:28 PDT 2013

NASA's Areogel has been reported to be quite good and is non hydroscopic,
non flammable R10.3 per inch.

Seems the best option now that Glacier Bay has gone out of custom vacuum
panel production (those panels worked great and were R50 an inch, but if the
panel leaked, then it was R10 - and leak sooner or later they would - they
were very expensive)

Areogel is not cheap, but not ruinously expensive either. You get what you
pay for, and the price has been falling.

And who said the Space Program doesn't have tangible benefits on Terra
Firma, not I for sure.

4 inches of Areogel insulation = R41.2. Personally, if I were going to the
trouble of doing an ice box teardown & buildup I'd go for 5" for R51.5.

Simply Google Areogel

http://www.thermablok.com/

http://www.aerogel.com/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aspen-Aerogel-SPACELOFT-Insulation-Hydrophobic-Mat-Per-Linear-Foot-57-Wide-/180860317203