[Public-List] Painting below water line

Michael Connolly crufone at comcast.net
Fri May 3 20:19:24 PDT 2013

Dwayne,

I agree with others especially if you expect to keep the boat for several more years to strip off all bottom paint at this time.
If you wish to apply a barrier coat, then follow the mfg's application schedule to a 't'. I used Interlux Interprotect 2001  on a full keel 23 foot boat and used 4 or 5 gallons to get the mil thickness the Mfg required. They didn't necessarly specify the number of coats but the final mil thickness. There was a chart basically listing the average mil thickness of the product using different methods of application, spray, brush and roller. Then according to the product they specified the final mil thickness and you can then calculate the number of coats. Mine was 7 coats to achieve the required mil thickness. The little bit of extra which was left over from my calculations I used to place more coats on the heavy wear areas of the lower keel radius and the rudder surfaces.  I made the mistake of using a bit too thick a nap roller and ended up with an orange peel surface in the epoxy barrier coat. An orange peel surface is a slow surface for the bottom of a sailboat.

I was hoping that the Micron CSC ablative would age down to a smoother surface. This did not happen, even over time. T he orange peel of the epoxy barrier coat telegraphed through the ablative.

This was my first complete bottom job. In the future I will either use a very fine nap epoxy application roller or I will roll and tip the barrier coat and the bottom paint, or both.

I question the use of Micron CSC in fresh water.  When I did my bottom in 2004 I researched paints and thought that the csc ablatives were for salt water applications. In fresh water I would use VC-17 for a nice smooth fast bottom. Especially, if you are in the upper great lakes where the water is mighty cold. VC-17 requires a new application at each spring splash in...........ablatives do not.

Michael Connolly #133