[Public-List] Any experience with sails from Lee Sails?

Bill Wallace wayfarer3134 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 12 07:45:00 PST 2013

Has anyone bought sails for their Alberg 30s from Lee Sails?  I'm trying to decide between them and Sailrite - I've sewn my own sails before, so that isn't a problem, but the Lee sails are only $300 more than it would cost me to sew my own, and if they are of equivalent quality, I think I would just go with them.  I had talked with some other sailmakers, but mostly local sailmakers are significantly more and my budget won't allow a new sail then this winter.  I race periodically, but am not really a die hard racer so they do not need to be optimal for racing - but they should be an improvement on my current sails which are really old.

I've heard good/bad second hand stories, but I'd really like some first hand information.  Comments on quality, fit, any issues you had etc would be appreciated.

Just for comparison's sake, the cost on the main is about $1700 with partial length battens, including shipping, but without tax. (CAD).
The sailrite quote is $1243 USD without shipping - about $1400 CAD by the time it arrives.
Fareast sails is more expensive unless I buy two sails, but they aren't that much more than Lee sails.

Thanks,
Bill.