[Public-List] Any experience with sails from Lee Sails?

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Tue Nov 12 08:53:16 PST 2013

Hi Bill, Triton Sails in Mississauga is where you should consider ordering
your new sails.

Sails are expensive, but it is mostly labour and the cost of premium Dacron
over regular Dacron materials that spells longevity to the sail and
maintains its designed shape longer.

Triton sails are not cheaper than say North, but the additionals added to
the sail are better.

Sunstone carries Triton sails, my most recent purchase was a 135% tri radial
Dacron high cut, which was an excellent purchase. That sail was built under
the supervision on Ron, as sadly Joe Fernandez passed away.

Ron learned well from his father, the student surpassing the teacher as
witnessed by the amazing sail shape of the new 135.

Our main, built in 1997 still holds its draft at 40% forward, being all full
batten with Schaeffer Batten cars and offshore stitched. While it was
slightly more than North was charging, the additional features were
substantially better than what North was offering for its offshore sail. It
was built with premium cloth with a 2 ply leach (which is where sails always
fail when they get older. The leach is equivalent to 16% oz cloth.

The sails built by Triton are highly competitive on the local race course,
though we no longer race - we took line honours the first year of the new
inventory in 97 at the BSBC Open and cleaned up in the fall series. We
finished first in division in the ensuing Open the following year and fall
series and retired from racing the next year as we love our boat too much.

Suggest you give Ron a call. Buy local with one of the best and don't scrimp
on the materials. You will see dividends going forward with that approach.

My thoughts anyway

Best

John  ( Sunstone's Triton sails, Offshore main; 105% high cut; 160% deck
sweeper; 135% high cut. )