[Public-List] Exterior wood finish?

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Mon Nov 25 08:44:04 PST 2013

Thanks Jim.

And you've driven me out of cover.  The marine finish information I've given
has been impartial.... But since you've mentioned Epifanes, I'll spill the
beans that I am the Canadian distributor for that company.  The information
I've offered is good for any varnish, whoever makes it.

Epifanes 'Wood Finish' in gloss is pretty good in the sun; but it's best to
cover it with regular varnish (we think ours is pretty good) to boost the UV
resistance.

An interesting dynamic in varnishes is that matt or flat finishes don't
stand up so well in the sun as gloss, and this goes for whoever the
manufacturer is.   It's recommended that if you want a matt finish in an
exterior situation, you varnish normally then do the last coat with a matt
varnish.  I do that with my cockpit seat wood inlays.  Our 'Clear Varnish'
(aren't those Dutch clever with product names?) is very glossy and very good
against UV, but it's slippery.  Matt isn't so slippery so we do the last
coat with that.

Our CV ('Clear Varnish') is old fashioned oil based varnish too.  It's also
relatively thick right out of the can, which most people like a lot and a
few others don't.    Professionals I deal with like the thickness because
when you're doing the last coats you really get a last coat.... And you've
got a wider scale of thickness to thin down to when you want it thinner.

I was just talking with a client on the phone who does wood refinishing for
historic sites.   For him, the time involved doing a good varnish job has a
huge bearing on how profitably he can complete contracts.  He uses our
'Rapid Coat Clear' varnish for his build coats because he can lay on two or
three coats per day due to it's fast curing and no-sanding
characteristics... He'll do his last coats with regular real varnish to make
sure the job lasts and his client stays happy.

I was telling him just now that where door varnish jobs often fail is along
the lower parts and people sometimes think this is due to water splashing on
the lower part of the door.  That¹s not the problem.... The problem is that
often the lower EDGE of the door doesn¹t get varnished, and it wicks up
water, and that¹s what can cause the varnish to lift.  Water on top of
varnish is no problem, but water coming into the wood can be.

Again - I'm not selling Epi on this list - the information I've given is
applicable to anyone's varnish.

And, as I guess you folks can guess, I find this stuff very interesting.  I
hope you do too!

Gord #426 Surprise