[Public-List] Exterior wood finish?

Jim Davis a30240 at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 25 08:12:24 PST 2013

Gord wrote  "The best way to seal wood from water intrusion is by means of heavily thinned varnish.    Thinned 50/50 with solvent, it will be as thin as water and really get into the wood.  It's a terrific wood sealer."

This is the same technique I have used for a long time.  I sand with 120 just before varnishing bare teak and wipe it down with either alcohol or acetone.  I start with 50/50 spar varnish and mineral spirits and simply brush it on.  I try for two (three) coats a day without sanding between coats.  If the surface is soft, or tacky you can apply wet on wet.  Once the surface has started to gloss then let it dry well and sand with ~180, dust and tack cloth.   For building up the coats use either Epifanes Wood Finish or a good spar varnish.  With the Epifanes you don't need to sand between coats, but do need to top coat with a real varnish.  This produces a finish that last as long as you recoat it in the spring and fall.  Where I have a failure do to water intrusion, or dinging it, I sand or scrape the affected area and build it up the same way.

Just a side thought.  Personally I don't like the modern marine varnishes.  They are too thin.  I try to use the old fashioned McCloskey Man O War Spar Varnish. It is an old high resin finish that is much thicker than the newfangled stuff.

Jim Davis
Privateer Isa Lei

If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.

George C. Marshall