[Public-List] Factory installed wheel steering

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Wed Oct 2 14:09:33 PDT 2013

Hello friends,

Surprise is fitted with factory-installed American Edson wheel steering.

Earlier this summer I felt a strange tug on the helm during a violent
maneuver in heavy air.  I¹ve noticed since that the steering seemed rather
slack, particularly when turning to port.

With the 2013 Misery Trip coming up, I reckoned I¹d better have a look at
the quadrant to see if I could figure out what was wrong; I was hoping today
that all I needed to do was tighten up the cables.

If you heard cursing coming from Midland, Ontario, well that was me.  One of
the steering cables has broken six of the seven strands.  That¹s what I felt
and that¹s why the steering is slack.  I have to replace the cables.

I am sure I can figure out how to do this, but would appreciate the benefit
of advice from any of you who have been through this ordeal.  I was pretty
depressed to see what I saw; but as I told my wife just now, those cables
are probably nearly fifty years old.  I should have planned on replacing
them anyway.  Well, now I have to do it.

Standing by for comments, cruel jokes, funny stories....

Gord #426 Surprise