[Public-List] Factory installed wheel steering

Lawrence Morris morris.lc at verizon.net
Wed Oct 2 17:09:49 PDT 2013

I replace cables on my Rhodes bounty II a few years back because I broke a cable.  I took the one good cable to the rig shop for replacements.  Went back to the boat to install and discovered that there was a 6" difference in length from port to starboard.  You guess it, back to the rigging shop( a 3hr round trip) for a third cable of the correct length.  Lesson: measure both side twice and fabricate once.  I used a piece of string, strung along the path of the cable to get this dimension.

While you are at it, check the cheek block sheeve pins.  Mine were worn 75% through.  They are bronze rod of a standard size and are easy to replace once you remove the cheek block(hard to do).  FYI the steering gear was a Edson from the same time period.

If you have any questions you can call me.  I am in the association directory.

Larry
Solstice 501
Sent from my iPad