[Public-List] Coring and liner

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sat Oct 26 13:55:49 PDT 2013

Bryan,

On 10/25/13 9:05 PM, bryanvcarbino wrote:
> At what boat number or year did the Alberg 30's change from masinite
> coring to balsa?

I don't know exactly when the transition occurred. I do know that #371
was a "transition" boat, with aspects from both the earlier and later
boats. These boats are easily identified by the fiberglass rail under
the genoa tracks, with no wood where the track is. They had a balsa
core, but it didn't extend to the edge of the deck under the stanchions.
They didn't have a liner, though. I'm not sure if they had a wooden
beam, but I suspect they did.

The story I heard is that the molds burned in a factory fire after only
a few of these boats were made. The newer molds were designed to be
faster to lay up.

> Does the masonite core ever go bad.

Not often. Or, if it does, it's not so noticeable.

> Also from not
> having a liner to having a liner?  What year was the aluminum mast
> beam added.

The aluminum mast beam is hidden by the liner. The two changes would be
at the same time.

> Do they ever need to be addressed like the previous
> laminate mast beam?

The similar problem with the liner boats is that the cabin sole liner
sags under the force of the mast through the bulkhead. This has been
fixed on some boats by glassing in supports under the liner to the hull.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org