[Public-List] Lag bolts

Robert Kirk isobar at verizon.net
Mon Oct 28 07:05:04 PDT 2013

   Each 3/8 lag screw, 2 inches into the wood, will take about a ton of
   pull-out apiece. Much more than you'd expect to need for a compression
   loaded mast step. Shear load should be relatively small but not zero.
   (I'm not sure how to interpret the bend John Boor reported in his 1/4 X
   6 bolts where they 'exited the bulkhead' since bulkheads are verticals.
   I assume bending stress but not shear. I found lots of bent bolts in
   Isobar along the hull-deck joint.