[Public-List] Lag bolts

GLENN P brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Mon Oct 28 08:41:44 PDT 2013

Great discussion. Probably the bent bolts were caused by the hole not being drilled true, e.g. completely perpendicular to the centerline of the boat. I screwed up a bit when boring the bottom of one hole on my beam replacement and have now one bent bolt - slightly offset at the lower 1/3rd.. The bigger issue is the head and nut don,t seat true... nuisance and aggravation!!

still not in favor of lag bolts into the beam. They are prime rot pockets when the mast step leaks, and almost never used in quality shipbuilding to fasten structure together. planks to frames, plywood screws, cattle gates on the farm, absolutely yes. Structure, hardly ever, and these places always are the failure points when the boat gets old. better to through bolt, at least to a backing plate under the liner/cabin top, or through the beam itself. oh well, just my soapbox...

a side note I dont think anyone has mentioned yet, the mast step in preliner boats is held in place with like 6 flat head machine screws screwed into the fiberglass cabin top. On Dolce, all but 2 screws were stripped out and had no real holding power in the FG- except a prior owner bedded them with 5200. I ended up thru bolting all thru the cabin top with SS fender washers, and aforementioned SS backing plates. Very happy with the result. Secure as the toe rail, No movement from the mast step what so ever, and probably I dont now even need the two large through bolts. In fact, now, I think I would dispense with the bolts all together - except hundreds of boats have done very well with them in place!

I wish we knew definitively why Whitby put the two bolts into the beam in the first place... do they exist on liner boats with Aluminum structure??? Seems to be a weird thing, and deep mystery why they are needed.

thanks
Glenn
Dolce 318