[Public-List] Trailer

Don Campbell dk.campbell at xplornet.ca
Tue Sep 10 05:47:55 PDT 2013

     There are a couple of things about trailers that have changed with
time. The first is that regulations regarding the tractor's towing
capacity, its safety checks  and brakes, trailer safety checks and
brakes,  and driver's licenses are now much more stringent than they
used to be. To drive an Alberg on a trailer, at least in Canada, you
will need an "A" class driver's license because of weight
classifications, (equivalent to a full trucker's license) as one example
and both tractor and trailer require annual safety checks. The next
thing you will need is a wide load permit because the standard width for
trucking in North America is 8'6" for width. (Tennessee may still at at
8'.) Since Alberg 30s are 8'9", any problems that arise leave you open
for the book to be thrown at you.
     As for cranes and ramps: the usual problem with ramps is that ramps
are too short and not steep enough for the depth required by sailboats
with keels. The usual thing is for the wheels of a trailer to be
supported by concrete on the pad. Even long trailers for things like
cigarette boats are about 30' long so concrete pads are usually not much
longer than that. As well the depth is usually enough to float boats off
those trailers so perhaps 5 feet deep at the very outside end of the
pad. Since the draft on an AL30 is 51" and unless the trailer is custom
built with extremely low carriage, there will not be enough water to
float the boat off. Once the wheels go beyond the pad, all sorts of
joyful things happen, like the frame rests on the concrete and the
vehicle cannot recover the trailer without assistance for extra
flotation like air bags,  and swimmers to attach them. If the ramp is
longer, and they do exist at places like the Lake Norman Yacht Club in
North Carolina (for E scow launching), then you will need a tongue
extension that will both support the trailer and be strong enough to
pull the boat out. The last consideration is the condition of the
bearings and axles. Usually it is not a great idea to submerge the
bearings of a trailer that carries this kind of weight. Often they are
in an oil bath rather than with grease and any dilution of oil means you
will have the possibility of adding oil to the water you launch into and
that can now create a very expensive clean - up.
     This usually means it is so much easier to find a crane.
Don Campbell