[Public-List] Cockpit Coaming

Jeffrey fongemie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 15:41:48 PDT 2013

I'd like to add that when I reconditioned my combings, I went down to bare
wood, and had to glue the outboard quarter-round back to the main combing
with epoxy. I also added a generous layer of thickened epoxy to the
underside (against the deck). By not having bedding, I can easily (more or
less) remove them to refinish indoors over the winter. I too enjoy
varnishing indoors in the pre-season. We don't put the boat in until late
May, Early June so I've got plenty of time. I've not noticed any
sludge/crud buildup when I've removed them.

I've got a different problem, my combings are getting thin, and a couple
years ago I noticed a horizontal crack that developed, and started to
lengthen! I bought a 8" inch long 1/4 inch drill bit and drilled three
holes down from the top well past the split. Squirted in some epoxy and
tapped in lengths of bronze rod, and put a bung on each. So far so good,
but I think making new combings is in my future.

Jeffrey Fongemie

Seagrass
Alberg 30 #116
Boothbay Harbor Maine