[Public-List] photos (was: Hiking seat)

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Sep 29 16:46:53 PDT 2013

Bill,

On 9/29/13 1:02 PM, Bill Boyle wrote:
> I'd post a pix but they don't like pix here.

That's not true at all, and I suspect you know it's not true.

I don't allow attachments on the mailing list because
  1. binary attachments are a major source of computer viruses, &
  2. often members are cruising and have low-bandwidth or expensive
connections to the internet.

I'm always happy to post pictures for people. You can see that
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/disorganized/ is full of these. I'm
thrilled when they take the effort to write up a description so I can
make a web page useful for people in the future. You can seen an example
of such at http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Accomodations/MananaTable/ If
people want to be able to upload their own photos, I'll be happy to
create a login for them in the http://www.alberg30.org/gallery/ Gallery.

I suspect you have no idea of the number of hours it takes to keep the
mailing lists and website running and spam free. Often the emergencies
occur at times when I'm very busy, but have to be handled. I've had to
disable almost all of the http://www.alberg30.org/collaborate/ section,
including the ability to create new accounts, because of persistent
attempts to create spam links amounts to a distributed denial of service
attack. I've blocked ~36,000 IP addresses, but continue to get ~10,000
attempts to create a new account from ~4000 different IP addresses EVERY
DAY.

I do this work, and have done for 18 years, because it gives me joy to
help Alberg 30 sailors communicate with each other. Snide comments,
though, sometimes get under my skin and make me discouraged. You're
welcome to think I'm a jerk for not allowing attachments on the mailing
list, but please keep those thoughts to yourself. They won't change my
mind and I don't want to hear them.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org