[Public-List] Rudder needs some love...

gregr at nethere.com gregr at nethere.com
Tue Apr 1 09:53:24 PDT 2014

Hi Folks,

A quick update and query...

After taking things apart it was obvious that the blade was not recoverable.
I'm also looking at replacing all the bronze. The pintle and gudgeon are the
strap style that look to have been beat into shape. The shoe has a floating
pin in it that is close to 3/4" in diameter. It fits the shoe well but left
no meat in the base of the rudder so I have play there.

I'm working with Foss Company here in southern California to get a new
rudder built from scratch. They are going to want to use a stainless rudder
shaft because that fits their process. I haven't decided how I feel with
that. It's not my first choice for sure but I know it's the norm these
days. My bigger question is, given their process, how will we mount the
other hardware. They consider the skins to be less structural than most...
I'll pass on what I find. If it goes well it could be good for the group as
they will then have the molds to make more A30 rudders.

Does anyone have a line on a spare rudder shoe? Blanks for pintle and
gudgeon? I read the write up on the two piece pintle with screws and I
don't understand how they are stronger than the single piece through
bolted/riveted. I agree they should have made them beefier but
fundamentally the single seems like it should be better. What am I missing?

Regards,

Greg