[Public-List] Rudder needs some love...

Glenn Brooks brooks.glenn at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 12:48:28 PDT 2014

Greg,

I just had Port Townsend Foundry cast a new bronze Grudgeon and Pintel for Dolce (318).  They have the molds.  Quoted cost was $250.  I am going over this week to pick it up and fit back on the boat.  Stainless rudder shafts will eventually fail through anaerobic corrosion.  A local marine welding shop showed me some stainless that was eaten up in less than a year.  Go with bronze for lifetime service if you can talk them into it.  Can't see why they couldn't do bronze if you speced it that way.  The bronze shaft can be drilled and 1/4" longitudinal stiffeners inserted through the shaft to reinforce  the blade is beyond simple to do.

Glenn
Dolce 318

Sent from my iPad