[Public-List] Pullman/Folding Sink

Kai Gmail kaimikkelforlie at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 09:04:40 PDT 2014

Dear All,

After a couple years of searching in vain on various online auction sites
and at numerous online marine salvage depots for a NOS (new old stock) or
used example of the kind of Pullman/folding sink that was standard equipment
on some Alberg sailboats, specifically the make and model shown in the
attached copy of photo attributed to a man named Dudley Baker (also viewable
here: http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Head/Sink/), I am now expanding my
search to include Alberg owners and enthusiasts directly.

I am aware of earlier threads on this mailing list that revolve around these
folding sinks and so would appreciate any additional information concerning
where they were manufactured, who manufactured them and if anyone is aware
of any known deficiencies, quirks or complaints with any aspect of these
sinks.  For instance, while the sink basin itself appears to be made of
single wall stainless steel, I do not know what the mounting
bracket/wastewater funnel (for lack of a better word) is comprised of.  Cast
aluminum?  Something else?  Is the bracket itself brittle?  Does it have a
tendency to fail over time?  Does anyone have any additional photos of one
of these sinks?  It would be great to see what the bracket/funnel actually
looks like, etc.

I am in the market for one of these sinks and would be more than happy to
pay for the privilege of acquiring one.

I am also well aware that throughout history there have been many other
styles of Pullman sinks that were sold to the sailing public, installed on
military ships and standard features on trains.  I also know of several
versions that are currently in production.  However, none that I have
managed to find, old or new, matches the low-profile nature and elegant
simplicity of the version that appears in the photo.

Does anyone have any leads on where I might find one of these sinks?

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Kai