[Public-List] chafing gear

Kris Coward kris at melon.org
Fri Apr 11 08:41:03 PDT 2014

On my usual/home mooring lines, I just have a piece of leather about 6"
long by the necessary width to get around the line in question wrapped
around the line so that the seam is at the top, and then sewed not just
shut, but into the line itself at the point where the line usually
contacts the chock or toe-rail.

Now the mooring where I use this setup is pretty calm, but nevertheless,
I think I've gone 4 years without having to replace the leather (though
I might want to give that some attention this year). In a bumpier
mooring, I'd probably just have to replace the leather more often, but I
doubt more often than annually anywhere with decent shelter.

I got enough leather to do all my mooring lines about 2-3x (and in red
to match my stripes, no less) in a bin full of seconds and offcuts at a
leather store in the garment district up here. If memory serves
correctly, that piece of leather cost me about $10.

One downside is that in the place where the leather rubs against my
toe-rail, some of the dye from the leather has reddened the wood
slightly. I've occasionally felt the temptation to get a piece of bronze
half-round to screw into the rail where it rubs, but haven't yet given
in to said temptation.

Cheers,
Kris

Kris Coward					http://unripe.melon.org/