[Public-List] chafing gear

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Fri Apr 11 06:56:38 PDT 2014

      Brigadoon II is Alberg # 275, a non-liner boat, with slightly
different line fairleads than later boats. (and masonite cores in the decks)
     The line that chafed through was on the stern quarter, starboard
side. The lead from the outboard piling in my slip to the cleat on deck
is pretty fair, but all winter, with a lot of northwesterly winds
blowing pretty much straight down my creek and at right angles to the
slip, that line took more strain than any other. (I had a spring line
from forward to one of the sheet winches.)

     Anyway, by late March it chafed  through both the "anti-chafing"
gear and a practically new in 2013  3/4 inch diameter nylon line.

     It was not a disaster because I caught it before any damage was
done, but as I said, if it had been a single line to a mooring buoy it
would have let the boat drift loose.

  - Gordon White