[Public-List] portable fuel polishing gear

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Tue Apr 22 19:53:09 PDT 2014

Mike,

On 4/22/14, 10:41 PM, Michael Nikolich wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have engine issues with Skybird.  It seems that I have kicked up
> some debris/sludge/whatever that was in my fuel tank.  Does anyone in
> the Annapolis area have a portable fuel polishing system for gasoline
> (Atomic 4) that I could borrow, or know a mechanic who could perform
> the service on short notice?

I don't know of a handy fuel polishing system for gasoline. I do
recommend a good filter between the tank and the engine.

Beware deteriorating fuel lines after the filter. I had one that was
flaking off black bits of rubber, clogging the carburetor jet. I suspect
the alcohol had attacked the inside surface.

I've also had the alcohol turn into jelly worms. That clogs the
carburetor really well. It can happen inside the passages of the carb.

I suspect that, whether or not you find a fuel polishing system, you're
going to need to open and clean the carburetor. For small clogs, you can
remove the idle mixture needle valve (the angled screw on the back side,
see
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8&stc=1&d=1113233248),
and use tubing to blow through the passage. This may help for awhile.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org